When it comes to creating sexier lips, fillers will always be the obvious go-to. After all, little beats the fullness and plumpness created with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Restylane Silk and Juvéderm Volbella – applied regularly, expertly and in just the right doses, of course.
But if lip definition rather than fullness is more your jam, you might like to weigh up the pros and cons of a lip thread lift, instead.
A lip thread lift is a minimally-invasive procedure that involves having dissolvable threads (such as those used for suturing the skin during surgery) inserted around the border of the lips with a needle. These threads act like a scaffold by grabbing the skin below the surface and pulling it up to tighten the skin, smooth lines and add lift and definition to the lips and Cupid’s bow.
OK, so this might all sound a tad painful/weird but it’s a quick, relatively swift procedure and really can offer awesome results for patients whose lip line has significantly aged and flattened over the years. Here’s all you need to know…
1. Is a lip thread lift for you? If thin, aging or undefined lips are a concern, but you’re not into fillers and really don’t want to up the volume of your lips, then yes. While traditional lip fillers alter both the size and shape of the lips, threading is more about elevating the skin to define and raise the outline. Like lipliner… but with so much more.
2. Like fillers, threads can be administered in your lunch hour. Bonus, right? The consultation and numbing will take around 15 minutes, while the procedure itself is usually over and done with in another 15-20 minutes. Add on your ten minutes journey to and from the office and you’re peachy keen in just 45 minutes.
3. Bear in mind, however, your lips may look slightly swollen and bruised immediately after your procedure, and they may stay this way for up to a week following your treatment. So, if a secret ‘lip job’ is what you’re after, you might want to think about scheduling your appointment for a Friday night and holing up for a few days.
4. A lip thread lift might set you back a few extra dollars than fillers, but remember, while lip fillers typically last for an average of six months, threads should stay at their best for a good year. And if you spread the cost of a $1000 lift (* the average cost) over 12 months with an aesthetic subscription, then $83 per month for ageless, beautiful lips is a total bargain. Just saying.
5. If you’re wondering what on earth is being inserted into your skin, fear not. Most threads such as NovaThreads are polydioxanone (PDO) threads, a sugar-derived polymer that breaks down into carbon dioxide and water and is eventually dissolved naturally by the body. Think dissolvable stitches and you get the idea.